Saturday, February 22, 2014

Lost Love

‘T is better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all

This is the last line of the poem 'Lost Love' by Alfred Lord Tennyson. Somehow I have always preferred the latter half of the sentence. I never wanted to ever fall in love coz I always feared of being hurt- in case things never worked out. Well I did fall in love- and I was hurt- and it did not work out. Will obviously not go into all the details, but sometimes I hoped it had not happened.

I know that I am definitely a better person since then. God has His ways of teaching His children. I can be quite insensitive about this whole "love thing" but He taught me how to be compassionate. I learned to be sympathetic towards other people. The many tears that made my pillow wet in the night helped me to comfort someone else when they were going through something similar.

Anyways, in all of this I am just glad that God is sovereign over all situations and He is in complete control. And in these times He has been my best source of comfort :)

So here is the poem by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Lost Love
(From "In Memoriam")

I envy not in any moods
   The captive void of noble rage,
   The linnet born within the cage,
That never knew the summer woods;

I envy not the beast that takes
   His license in the field of time,
   Unfetter’d by the sense of crime,
To whom a conscience never wakes;

Nor, what may count itself as blest,
   The heart that never plighted troth
   But stagnates in the weeds of sloth;
Nor any want-begotten rest.

I hold it true, whate’er befall;
   I feel it, when I sorrow most;
   ‘T is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

No comments: