Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Forgiveness

To forgive someone at times can get hard, especially if you know that person has intentionally hurt/sinned against you. I have many times rehearsed lines in my head that I would want to say to that person. Usually those lines are not very pleasant. I feel that the person is getting away with what they are doing and justice is not being executed.

This is where I know that I have not been dwelling on the truth. If I would continually be dwelling on the attributes of God, I would remember that He has been gracious and merciful to me and forgiven my sins. He executed justice by sending His own Son on the cross to die for my sin. I have to remember who God is - Righteous, Just and  Holy. He does not let any sin go unpunished. 

Something that I have been learning, is to trust God when He says in Romans 12:9   

"Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord"

Most of the time I wanna take matters in my own hand, because I feel He is delaying in His justice. But I have to learn to submit everything in His hand and remember He is an all wise God who has created the entire universe. Therefore He definitely knows what He is doing.

Sure I might feel a little better just lashing out at a person who has hurt me, but later when I will come to my senses, I know that God has not called me to unrighteousness. All I am trying to say here is that, forgiving someone can really be hard at times, but God has called me to do it, trusting Him completely that He will take care of things and the unjust will not go free.

I was listening to a sermon on  forgiveness by Tim Keller. It made me examine my heart more closely. Hoping you are blessed by it too.

Click here for the sermon.

No comments: